Ultimate Guide For The Best Tactical Backpack For 2016
It’s true that you can wear any backpack for your hiking adventure, however, if you want to stay protected from the harsh weather and bring all the essentials to survive, you need the best tactical backpack that you can buy.
The functional and rugged designs of tactical backpacks are not only popular among military men but also for other outdoor enthusiasts, like hikers, campers, and mountaineers.
Buying a tactical backpack is actually hard due to the many brands offered on the market today. You need to know the right features to look for so you don’t end up regretting your purchase.
To help you find the right tactical backpack for your needs, we offer guidelines as wells product reviews of five popular brands currently available.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What To Look For
Since you’ll be carrying the backpack a lot, aim for comfort. The padding and straps should not be loose but snugly fits on your body. To prevent from body pains, look for a padded back, shoulder and hip straps. Compression straps also disperse and balance weight evenly.
Other than comfort, the back panel should also offer proper ventilation to reduce sweating and provide comfort when it gets hot. Other things to consider include air channels and wide straps.
2. Accessible Reach
Although we desire a lot of compartments and pockets for your essentials, they must be accessible for ease of use.
The pouches, pockets, and inner compartments should be easy to reach and not encased under many zippers. Quick-access pockets allow you to remove the items without the need to remove the backpack.
3. Durable Material
The reliability of a backpack can be determined by the kind of material used. Nylon can create a durable backpack plus it dries up fast. However, most backpackers prefer rip-stop nylon because it’s stronger and more durable than nylon.
Although canvas can still be highly durable, it can be relatively heavy. Polyester can be more ultraviolet (UV) resistant than nylon, but it’s less stronger and slower to dry.
The best way to organize your items is to have a lot of inner and outer pockets. The compartments should come in various sizes so you can store different kinds of items, from small to large gear. Concealed compartments are also a plus to hide valuables very well.
The price is always a factor when you buy things. As much as you don’t want to spend more than you should, you should also consider the quality. Price should not compromise the quality. As possible, look for a bag that offers the features that you need within your budget.
Important Features To Consider
- If you like to attach a lot of accessories and pouches look for a Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment (MOLLE) compatibility feature that allow you enhance the capacity of the bag.
- A waterproof feature is also desired to make your backpack unaffected by rain and water.
- You need to look for a hydration pocket to contain hydration bladder for easy drinking. The larger the hydration pocket, the better.
- Padded shoulder straps ease out the pressure from for your shoulders when wearing a heavy bag.
- Mesh pouches allow you to organize your gear easily. They can allow you to find the items easily.
- Laptop compartments provide safe storage for laptops during strenuous activities, like running and climbing.
- Compression straps balance the weight of the bag by dispersing the weight evenly. As a result, you feel more comfortable wearing the bag while walking or climbing.
Our Top 5 Recommendations
One of the most affordable backpacks currently available is the Reeebow Tactical Backpack which has a capacity of 34 liters. Its high-density fabric and double-stitched construction make it waterproof and durable.
You can be comfortable wearing this backpack because it has a ventilated mesh padding shoulder strap and a padding back area.
This tactical backpack has a hydration pocket that can accommodate a 2.5-liter hydration bladder. Built with a MOLLE system, his backpack can accommodate a lot of accessories and pouches.
Aside from being a military bag, you can also use this bag for bug out, hunting, and combat.
- Comes at an affordable price
- Has many pockets and compartments
- Waterproof and durable
- Comfortable shoulder and back padding
- Great hydration pocket and MOLLE system compatibility
- The straps seem to fall off and not stay in place
- The zipper tends to break easily
- It would have been better if it has a mesh organizer on the front for easy access
- Capacity is too small
If you like an expandable backpack that supports all your hiking needs and outdoor travels, then you need to try the AMRYCAMOUSA Tactical Backpack which has a capacity of 40-48 liters so you can carry a lot in your expedition.
The backpack is made of 600 Denier polyester, a material more UV resistant than nylon. It contains a lot of compartments including a water bottle mesh pocket and electronic pockets.
The hydration pocket can accommodate a 3-liter bladder. What I love is the top pocket that can collect earphone or other small items. For added security, you can put on the waist belt.
- The main compartment can be expandable to fit more gear
- Has a lot of functional compartments, like hydration pocket, electronic pockets, and daisy chain to keep rain gear
- Zippers are easy to grip and durable
- Quite affordable
- Has a sufficient capacity for multiple night trips
- It would have been better if it’s waterproof'
- It lacks padding for your back
- The polyester material is not that strong and durable
If you like a super rugged backpack design, then the 2V Gear Velox II might suit your needs. This tactical backpack has a capacity of 1,628 cubic inches or 26.67 liters. You can use this bag for operation, day adventures, or mission.
A wide access to compartments is offered through its large self-healing zippers. The 600 D PVC backed nylon material offers durability and super rugged design.
You can also expand its storage capacity through its MOLLE system and drink conveniently through its hydration compatibility.
- Durable and strong nylon material construction
- Rugged and weather-resistant
- Nice hydration bladder and MOLE compatibility features
- Offers wide accessibility to compartments
- Adjustable shoulder and sternum straps
- Seems to be too small
- A bit uncomfortable due to lack of back padding
- Zippers can’t hold up longer
If you need a compartment for your laptop, then you need to consider buying the ArcEnCiel Backpack which has a capacity of 40 liters.
It features a MOLLE and pouch attachment ladder system (PALS) to accommodate several small equipment. An ergonomic suspension system is designed to offer good ventilation and less perspiration.
For more comfort, a chest sliding adjustment system is provided. You can access the computer and main compartments easily because the zippers can be opened from top to bottom. This backpack is made of many pockets to organize various items.
- Nice MOLE and PALS expansion systems for added storage
- Comfortable back mesh design and chest sliding adjustment features
- Wide access to computer and main compartments
- Waterproof and abrasion-resistant
- Includes a rain cover for extra protection
- Made of durable and strong military nylon fabrics
- The capacity is a bit small for multiple nights
- The computer compartment can only accommodate slim and small laptops and tablets
If you need mesh compartments, then the 5 11 Tactical Rush 24 might suit your needs. It has three mesh compartments which can allow you to see through items fast. A hydration pocket with a bladder is designed to keep you hydrated while you’re outside.
This backpack has a total capacity of 37 liters. To give comfort, an adjustable sternum strap is designed, along with contoured yoke to ease some of the weight off your shoulders. The nylon material is coated with water-repellent to protect your bag from rain and moisture.
- Durable and water-resistant nylon material
- Nice mesh compartment design for easy identification of items
- Enhanced storage capacity
- Comfortable strap design
- Customizable functionality
- Lacks a waist strap for extra security
- Poor pocket placement because the laptop compartment is near the hydration bladder
- A bit expensive
Based on the reviews above, the best tactical backpack is the ArcEnCiel Backpack because it has almost all the features that we’re looking for.
It has a durable and waterproof material, comfortable straps and back mesh design for less perspiration, accessible compartments, and MOLLE compatibility for enhanced storage.
Have you tried purchasing a tactical backpack already? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below. If you like this post, please share it with your friends and family by all means.